What is an Ouija Board?
The Ouija board made its first public appearance in February of 1891 at a Pittsburgh novelty and toy shop that described it as a “Wonderful Talking Board”; touting it as a recreational toy designed to provide you with never-ending amusement. It got its name when Helen Peters asked the board what its name is and it spelled out Ouija. When asked what it meant the board spelled out “good luck.”
Is it nothing more than a toy? Well, according to Smithsonian Magazine, it was proven through the patent office before allowing it to go on the market. Even today many psychologists have gone on record as saying it may indeed be a link of some sort between the unknown and the known.
Still doubtful? Then Read These Five Terrifying Experiences:
- Angela Jackson, a single mother of two, desperately wished she had followed her father’s advice. She had always been interested in anything paranormal and considered using an Ouija board. Her father, who had died 20 years before, had begged her to not use the board as nothing good will come from it. Never the less, one night at a neighbor’s house they began fooling around with the board asking it who it wanted to talk to. It replied Angela. The board told her she will be murdered by a man with a hammer. Then things started crashing around the room and a door slammed shut. Shortly after this incident, she awoke from a nightmare where a figure was chasing her with a hammer. The next evening while walking home she spotted a man behind her carrying a claw hammer who then attacked her. Luckily, a stranger intervened. She survived but ended up with a fractured skull.
- Roland, a young boy from Germany, is said to be the basis for the Exorcist movie. His aunt died when he was 13 and he began trying to use the Ouija board to contact her. After these sessions, strange things started to happen around the house. He noticed strange sounds, religious artifacts moving and shaking along with scratches and carvings on his skin. Reverend Shultz took the boy for medical and psychological testing where all of the tests came back normal. While spending the night at the Reverend’s house “all hell” began to break loose. They decided to perform an emergency exorcism. Eventually, the Reverend, battered and bruised, was able to rid the demon from Roland.
- In 1986 there were three high school kids that hung around together; two girls and one boy. The boy, Johnny, had been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis and became hospitalized. The girls would visit him often in order to help keep his spirits up. One night after visiting they went home and decided to try the Ouija board. After asking several banal questions they decided to ask about Johnny and his illness. The board spelled out “24 June 1987”. They decided to write that information down and put it in an envelope, thinking that it would be the day Johnny would be disease-free. They eventually remembered the envelope and opened it. Johnny dies on 24 June 1987.
- A young man had an aunt that never married and when asked why she would not say. The young man’s father told him the story. His aunt had been about 17 and became pretty serious with her boyfriend. When playing on the Ouija board she asked if she and her boyfriend would get married and it told her No. She asked if they were going to break up and again it said No. Then she asked if one of them was going to die and this time it said Yes. When she asked which one will die it simply said Good Bye. A few days later her boyfriend died in a wood chipper accident.
- Herbert and Nellie were living a normal life until Nellie began to play on her Ouija board and summoned a spirit. The spirit told her that her husband was having an affair and was giving this other woman quite a bit of money. Nellie began to burn, beat and torture Herbert on a daily basis. She was trying to get him to confess that the Ouija board was right. Finally, Herbert snapped and killed her. That definitely put a stop to the torture.
Follow the Rules
There are some rules that need to be followed when using an Ouija board. The most important one is that every time you end a session you have to tell it “Good Bye”. You do not want to know what happens if you forget to do it.